Monday, April 11, 2011

more hellebores

I have had a hardcore gardening weekend. The weather was great, and it felt wonderful to get so much done - planting seeds, moving perennials, adding manure to the beds, building trellises... I also made a trip to Plant World, to get some supplies, where I happened upon several gorgeous Hellebore varieties. I wasn't planning to get more of these until maybe next year, but they seduced me. Plus, they were on sale, so how could I resist them? There are three: The top two are different colours of the same double petalled variety; a greenish yellow and a dusty greenish pink (2 pics of the pink one), both with subtle little speckling; and the last one is a different variety with spiky edged leaves whose nodding flowers will appear more white as they open. 

This year I was supposed to take it easy with the garden, since I should really be spending most of my time painting, but I haven't been able to stick to my aim of keeping things low-maintenance. I just enjoy it so much that I can't keep myself from following whims and trying new things. In the Spring, especially, I feel a passion and excitement for gardening that I haven't felt about much else all winter. I just have to find a way to be more efficient with my time. Maybe I can add a few extra hours to the day or days to the week? ha ha. Wouldn't that be nice. 

I have managed to develop yet another new plant obsession (in addition to this Hellebore infatuation), which will definitely make more work for myself, but I just couldn't put off indulging it until next year. So... more about that soon. 

1 comment:

  1. the idea of starting my garden makes my fingers itch!! We are still frozen here, and patiently waiting for the thaw. Beautiful lady, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete